Friday, January 8, 2010

Clothing Quotes Just For Fun

I love quotes. I am always interested in the comments of others in regard to just about any subject. Today I did a search for clothing quotes. Here are a few that I found:

Adornment is never anything except a reflection of the heart. Coco Chanel

Know first who you are and then adorn yourself accordingly. Epictetus

I base most of my fashion sense on what doesn't itch. Gild Radner

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. Mark Twain

What do nudists wear on casual Fridays? A.J. Esther

Sweater,n: garment worn by a child when its mother is feeling chilly. Ambrose Bierce

Never wear anything that panics the cat. P.J. O'Rourke

You're never fully dressed without a smile. Little Orphan Annie

Your Business clothes are naturally attracted to staining liquids. This attraction is strongest just before an important meeting. Scott Adams


Although largely unspoken I think most people have some kind of opinion or thought about clothing. I am a bit of a rebel when it comes to the subject of what to wear. A long time ago when I was a child, I remember the first time I heard that it was 'wrong' to wear white after Labor Day. "Why?!", was my response. I remember watching to see if people obeyed that rule and sure enough when autumn rolled around people gravitated towards darker clothing. That was my first awareness of fashion rules. And I have never understood them. Clothing is a personal thing. A basic form of self expression. I see no reason for there to be any form of fashion pressure or expectation to be placed on what we wear for daily life. Certainly there is a place for uniforms whether literal or assumed in regard to different industries etc, but what I am talking about is everyday wear and our own personal fashion sense.

I was a teen in the late 60s and early 70s. That era was a sea of change in every realm of life and it revealed itself nowhere more clearly than in the area of clothing. Skirt length had gotten shorter as well as longer. Don't all us mid-century kids recall the whole fashion labeling thing? 'Mini'. 'Midi'. 'Maxi'. 'Mod'. The neat tailored-ness of the 50s stepped aside for the fashion explosion of the 60s. Colors and patterns were brighter, bigger, bolder, louder. Just like the era itself.

With all the liberating that was going on at that time I was glad to see a lot of fashion rules broken for good. I never planned to follow any of them anyway. I have always worn white after Labor Day. I like different skirt lengths. I have worn clothing that wasn't perfect for my shape just because I like the garment. These rebellious attitudes have contributed so much to the designs I create. I am not moved by trends or rules. My original handmade clothing is made to be easy wearing, comfortable and classic in the most freeing sense of the word. They are timeless because they follow neither rules nor current fashion dictates. Want to see for yourself? Visit my website MLOriginals and check out my one of a kind ladies clothing and accessories. And remember; to quote Annie again, "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

No comments:

Post a Comment